Benefits customer service representative
The Local 371 Amalgamated Welfare Trust Fund (“Fund”) located in Westport, Connecticut, is currently seeking a full-time Customer Service Representative reporting directly to the Benefit Fund Manager. The Customer Service Representative responds to all telephone inquiries and provides customer service support functions for participants of the Fund. The Customer Service Representative is responsible for the day-to-day interaction and communication of health plan benefits, enrollment and eligibility information to participants, dependents and other related parties.
The Fund provides health and welfare benefits approximately 30,000 active union members and their eligible dependents. The Customer Service Representative will handle PHI on a daily basis; proper handling and safeguarding of participant data is essential.
Specific job duties include:
- Handle all telephone calls regarding benefits, eligibility, enrollment and billing related issues and return messages.
- Respond to written and email inquiries as appropriate.
- Research and provide follow-up communications and customer service related to problem resolution, questions, complaints and other requests as required.
- Actively seek ways to help participants and improve customer service by providing exemplary service to participants and displaying a positive attitude.
- Track and log inquiries and volumes and prepare required reports for management.
- Participate in special assignments, project work and other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will meet the following requirements:
- Work Experience: Literacy of health plan benefits and/or customer service experience, or related experience, required.
- Educational Background: Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Special Skills or Credentials: A basic understanding of HIPAA rules and regulations, health plan benefits, enrollment processes and eligibility rules required. Bilingual (Spanish/English) is a plus. The ideal candidate will be detail oriented with a commitment to customer service, be a flexible team player, have strong organizational, problem solving, analytical, verbal and written communication and listening skills. Candidates must have strong decision making abilities, sound judgment and be able to multi-task and prioritize effectively in order to meet deadlines. Intermediate proficiency with current technologies specifically MS Office suite required.
The Fund offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. The Fund is an affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, or disability.
Resumes may be emailed to Barbara Fedumenti at email@example.com